First appearing in the late 1990s to rival Tamagotchi virtual pet toys, Digimon fast became popular in anime, manga, and video games. Featuring digital monsters, the franchise is very similar in premise to that of Nintendo's Pokémon, albeit set in a parallel digital world. The various digital monsters usually team-up with their human counterparts in order to battle evil Digimon and human villains who are intent on destroying the fabric of the digital world. The virtual toy line by Bandai enjoyed moderate success around the world, but the franchise only really became popular after the introduction of the anime TV series, and later, the breakthrough into video games. The franchise is now over 20 years old, and is still popular amongst otaku. Here's a selection of sumi-é Displate artwork by artist Soulkr Design based on some of the more frequently seen Digimon characters.
Online Battle Royale first-person-shooter, Fortnite, seems to have changed the online multiplayer landscape considerably since it smashed its way onto home consoles and mobile devices several months ago! The epic 100-player mode made waves throughout the gaming industry not only for its visuals and gameplay, but also for its "Free-To-Play" business model that sees game developers, Epic Games, earn revenue from various micro-transactions. The game has become hugely profitable for the company, and has also inspired industry veterans, Activision, to apply a similar model for the up-and-coming Call Of Duty: Black Ops 4! To celebrate the success of the popular shooter, here's a matching set of Displate artwork by artist Gab Fernando, featuring various Fortnite characters! Check out the full set by clicking the button above!
DISPLATE VOYAGE VOYAGE TRAVEL ART CHALLENGE
3rd September - 3rd October 2018
WHAT'S IT ALL ABOUT?
Displate.com are currently running a Travel Art Challenge during the course of the next month, from the 3rd of September 2018 until the 3rd of October 2018.
"Ah, the sweet summer days are over.
- 1st & 2nd place will be awarded $500 prize
- 3rd & 4th place will be awarded $300 prize
- 5th & 6th place will be awarded $200 prize
- 7th to 10th place will be awarded L size Displates prize
HOW TO ENTER
1. Upload at least one new picture. Remember that the uploading tool works only on desktop. You can submit as many pictures you want.
2. Choose a perfect name for your work, add tags, and include the tag #TRVL so that Displate will be able to easily find it and qualify it for the contest.
3. Be patient - your artwork will be checked during the validation process – Displate needs to be sure that it meets their general upload guidelines.
4. The contest starts on 3rd of September 2018 and ends on 3rd of October 2018
September 2018 - Our pick for this month's "Triptych Of The Month" is this stunning matching set of poster designs based on characters from The Legend Of Zelda video games, by artist Paula Garcia, spread across three Displates! A must-have set for fans of the classic Nintendo franchise!